T
H
E
B
L
O
G

Las Vegas and house flies.

This is an observation sent to me by my dear friend Ric Francis... Since I just recently visited Vegas for the first time, and this is a classic dog moment we can all identify with, I thought I would share with you:

"It's that slow time of the year here in the Northwest where it's just warm enough outside that the flies are slowing down and my Doberman, Crow is taking it personal.

While I'm sitting here playing poker online (with play money, fortunately) and losing at a comfortable pace, I notice Crow's head begins to weave about as he tracks a fly. Suddenly- even for the fly, Crow strikes with speed of a raptor. The fly, like magic, is gone.

The abject disgust that comes over his whole 85 pound frame when he does catch it is tremendous. The hacking starts as he backs up in a big circle; the working of his lips and tongue try to dislodge his captive. His feet tangle up in his blanket and it takes about three full minutes of dancing and head shaking before he is successful in his frantic effort to be free of the bug. Then Crow looks at me as if I had refused to help him in the struggle with his airborne attacker. He keens on about how now his bed is all messed up and he is disgusted with my measure of valor in all things. After a few more minutes of his Dobie groaning, he settles down.

After a moment, my boy being so quiet, prompts me to look over and tell him what a good dog he is. When I look over thinking he has settled down and back to sleep, I see his whole body quivering again as his head weaves back and forth tracking another fly- as if this one will taste better. So as I sit here, I may keep losing at poker- but like Vegas, I've got a great floor show."

--Ric Francis, Blackdog Foundation

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home